Friday, September 18, 2015

Widgets

Blueberry Coffee Cake


Late Sunday night, Andrew and I were craving something sweet for dessert. Naturally, the good little Suzy-homemaker I am I jumped into action!
Actually I was pretty lazy that night and had some blueberries in the fridge I needed to use up. So I concocted this little blueberry coffee cake loosely based on an old Pinterest pound cake recipe I have had in my Pinterest cooking folder for a couple years.


It was quick, easy and super yummy! I felt really bad though because I had originally promised Andrew he could take it to work the next morning. When I still saw it in the fridge in the morning, I thought I would take it to work since he didn't. All the girls gobbled it up!
I got home to find out he was hoping to eat some later that night :-(    Oops!
Well I'll just have to make another!

Hope you find it yummy too!....

Blueberry Coffee Cake

Cake

1/2 cup sugar
6 Tbsp butter, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk, whole
1 egg, room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups blueberries

Streusel

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 stick butter, melted

Glaze

3/4 cup powdered sugar
1 or 2 Tbsp millk, whole


-Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9 inch cake pan.
-For Streusel, mix melted butter with flour, sugar and cinnamon with fork until mixed well; it will be mushy and clumpy, set aside.
-For Batter, combine flour and baking powder in separate bowl and set aside. Beat butter and sugar in mixer for about 4 minutes until fluffy. Add sour cream, milk, vanilla and egg each indivually until incorporated well. Add flour mixture slowly, continuously mixing until smooth.
-Spread half of the batter in the cake pan, then top with half of the streusel by hand, sprinkling it to get an even layer.
-Top with half of the blueberries evenly.
-Spread remaining batter on top of blueberries, then top with remaining streusel.
-Top with remaining blueberries. (It doesn't have to be perfect)
-Bake for 35 minutes (ish) until toothpick inserted comes out pretty clean.
-Remove cake, let cool and transfer to wire rack for more cooling
                          ***I ran short on time so I drizzled glaze while still warm and yum!***
-For glaze, combine powedered sugar with milk and whisk until smooth and glossy. Add more milk or sugar if you want.
-Drizzle all over the cake and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment