Saturday, August 29, 2015

Widgets

Cupcake Double Header!


I actually made these two lovely, yummy cupcakes a couple months ago but I'm fairly new to this blogging thing and have been working on taking and editing some pictures to go along with it.



I needed a couple different and decadent selections for a work baby shower. The mom-to-be requested fun-fetti cupcakes and everyone else wanted red velvet..hmmm how to make this work.
So I came up with these cute concoctions that I hope you'll enjoy.
First up Oreo cream Red Velvet cupcakes!
For the Strawberry Funfetti Click HERE!



 First thing first is to bake the things.
I will tell you that I cheated a little on these and used the box cake mix. EEK!

But I always add my special touch to spruce it up and call it my own. (recipe below)

I always spray lightly a paper towel with cooking spray
and wipe down the cups on the cupcake baking sheet. Even
though I'm using baking cups, it just makes me feel warm
and cozy. I used my left over batter to make a couple cakes, eh why waste.

Tip!  I always bake my cupcakes or cakes a day in advance so that they can cool completely and then be refrigerated overnight. I find a cool cake/cupcakes way easier to frost.


<----- For the frosting, heres what you'll need

You'll need to take about 10 oreos and scrape off the yummy cream filling and then eat it. DON'T let this go to waste! Take the 20 pieces of cookie and crush them up very very finely. They need to be able to pass through a piping back without getting stuck so make sure to crush and crush. Its good stress relief anyway. You can use a fancy food processor if you like which is way faster and cleaner. Set aside.

Next combine the cream cheese, stick of butter (super soft), and vanilla extract and blend it up nice a good. It gets really sticky and sticks to the sides of the bowl, the spatula, your fingers etc.
Add in the powdered sugar one cup at a time until it reaches a creamy consistency that you're happy with








Next you'll want to add in the crushed Oreos. Dump it all in and slowly fold it in with spatula. Don't over mix or it won't be pretty.

Fill that piping back and get to work!













My favorite thing in the whole world is to pipe icing. I find it sort of an art and it instantly makes the cupcakes beautiful. I used a star tip for this design.




 







       Now stick an Oreo in it, you're done.

































Printable Recipe

Red Velvet Oreo Cupcakes

Frosting

10 Oreos (more for decorating)
One stick of butter, softened
8oz Cream cheese, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 cups confectioner's sugar

Red Velvet Cupcake

1 box red velvet cake mix (I like Duncan Hines)
4 eggs
2/3 cup of butter, softened
1 cup at least of milk (I always use whole milk)


For the cake:
-Follow instructions on the back of the box for the cake mix. 
-You will add one extra egg making it 4 to the mix. 
-Instead of the amount of oil, you will substitute with butter and double the amount. Usually it asks for 1/3 cup oil so then it will be 2/3 cup of butter. 
-Substitute the milk for the amount of water. Depending on the brand of cake mix it will vary from 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups.
-Fill each cupcake liner 2/3 of the way full and bake as instructed, about 15-20 minutes. 
-Will be done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean from the center.
-Cool completely before piping on frosting.

For the frosting:
-Scrape off the creamy center of each of the 10 Oreos and discard. 
-Crush up finely using processor (or place in ziploc bag and crush with rolling pin). Set aside.
-Combine softened butter, vanilla extract, and cream cheese in a stand mixer and blend together for about a minute.
-While mixture is on medium low speed, slowly add in sugar one cup at a time, scraping sides as you go until rich and creamy.
-Fold in crushed Oreos just until blended.
-Fill in piping bag and pipe onto cooled cupcakes as desired.
-Garnish with Oreo and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment